“Army unaware of prior intelligence on Easter attacks” – Army Commander

“Army unaware of prior intelligence on Easter attacks” – Army Commander

(FASTNEWS|COLOMBO) – Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake today informed Parliament that the military was not informed of the intelligence information on the Easter Sunday bombings, prior to the attacks.

The Army Commander this morning testified before the Parliament Select Committee probing the Easter Sunday attacks at the Parliamentary Complex.

Army Commander Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake when questioned by the committee members said he conducted an internal investigation only after the attacks in which over 250 persons were killed.

The Army Commander said he regrets that the military was not informed of the attacks, claiming he has been questioned on the his responsibilities before as well.

He noted if the Army had been informed of the bombings and if the matter had been discussed earlier, steps would have been taken to beef up security and the situation could have been contained.

The Army Commander said he conducted an internal investigation after the attacks, citing that he has a responsibility to know if any individual in the Army had prior knowledge of the attacks.

He claimed that in the event that any Army personnel, not just the Intelligence Director, was aware of the attack, he as the Army Commander should have been informed.

He reiterated that the Army’s responsibility is to protect the country.

Meanwhile, Former Secretary of Defence Kapila Waidyaratne is testifying before the Parliament Select Committee at present.

CATEGORIES